Nigeria Enhanced E-Passport
About the Enhanced E-Passport
The Enhanced E-Passport is part of the new reforms approved by the Federal Government of Nigeria. It is a product of intensive review of the existing e-passport booklet which has been in circulation for over 10 years and has only 5-year validity.
Features and benefits of the Enhanced E-Passport Reforms
- Introduction of a new security enhanced passport;
- Polycarbonate technology that enhances the quality of the passport;
- Ten year validity booklet that saves frequent visit to passport offices;
- Automation of issuance process to bring about transparency and address touting / middlemen;
- Strictly online payment based;
- Introduction of Electronic Document Management System that will ensure:
- Tracking of application,
- Effective communication with applicants on status of the application, and collection,
- Eliminate human interference,
- Enhances document storage system,
- Enhances prompt decision making,
- Ease process flow,
- Provision of conducive processing environment for applicants;
- Provision of effective and compliant address mechanism.
Categories of the Enhanced E-Passport
The new Passport is available in these categories
- 32 page 5-year validity (Adults and Minors)
- 64 page 5-year validity (Adults and Minors)
- 64 page 10-year validity (Adults (18+) only)
There is option for adults to pick from any of the three categories stated above. However, young children of less than 18 years age, have the option of choosing between category i and ii only. 10-year validity passport is not for persons below 18 years based on ICAO specifications and due to expected change in their physical appearance.
Official Fees of the Enhanced E-Passport
The roll out of the Enhanced E-Passport has been rescheduled to 29th April,2019 to finalize the integration of the National Identity Number (NIN) with the Enhanced E-Passport.
Requirements for the Enhanced E-Passport is the same with old passports with regards to application types, in addition National Identification Number (NIN) is required and mandatory for issuance of the New Passport.
Note: Data on the old passport will be the same on the Enhanced E-Passport.
How to Apply for the new Nigerian Passport
Get you requirements ready
Apply online at https://portal.immigration.gov.ng by clicking on the type of passport application you want e.g. Fresh, Renewal, Lost, Damage, or Correction of data.
complete the online application form, select passport office in the state you wish to obtain the passport, proceed to make payment online and obtain reference and application ID numbers.
Proceed to the Passport Office selected during the online application with relevant requirements including evidence of payment made.
Nigerians in the Diaspora are to submit application at the nearest Nigeria Embassy/High Commission or Consulate selected during online application.
Note: Applicants are required to appear at the passport office chosen during online application for photograph and Biometric data capturing if current passport is more than six month old.
Enquiries and Complaints:
Contact Passport and other Travel Documents Directorate via firstname.lastname@example.org
For more details on the New Nigeria Passport, please see Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ).